I had every intention of posting comments in my blog on a daily basis and succeeded until May of last year. Then, I had every intention of posting on a daily basis for this school year until............. I was put in charge of K-12 Professional Development, am serving as the Licensure Renewal Coordinator, Mentor Coordinator and trainer for six young teachers, oh....and a full time Kindergarten teacher. This school year it feels like I have to schedule in a bathroom break. I have been very very busy!!!

I do have a terrific class of 12 precious students with a full time teacher assistant (I keep pinching myself to make sure I am not dreaming) and it is a joy to see the enthusiasm of young teachers just beginning their career. Although it is a lot of work, I truly love working with each of the six teachers I am mentoring. Just envisioning the talent and potential of each of them is an awesome experience!

Then there are my kindergarten students. They are such a precious bunch. I wouldn't trade watching the enthusiasm and wonder on those little faces every morning for any other job in the world. I feel truly blessed to have a job that I enjoy so much.......even if they slip and call me "Maw Maw" or "Me Maw". Years ago they would slip and call me Mommy or Mom....sigh. I will occasionally sidle up to a mirror after one of those slips only to catch a glimpse of my wrinkles. It makes me realize just how fast time goes by.

One of my former students came up and gave me a hug the other day and told me "You were my BEST teacher even if you are old!" Hmmmmmmmm.......was that a backhanded compliment I wondered? Quite frankly, I am too old to care!

17 comments

  1. Adrienne // October 27, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

    I hope you get unbusy soon and continue to be the best teacher =)

  2. Anne // October 27, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

    I am so glad that you are back!

  3. Anne // October 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

    Welcome back! I have missed your stories of your days of teaching.
    It does sound like you are very busy, but happy. I hope you are taking some time for yourself after your day of teaching and mentoring. You certainly deserve it.
    Take care.

  4. Saimi // October 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

    It is amazing how fast time slips away, especially when your busy! Sounds like a good kind of busy though.

    I feel the same about my little preschoolers!

  5. Bernie // October 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

    I think it is endearing that the children call you by these names, they represent people they really love.
    Welcome back!.......:-) Hugs

  6. Brenda Susan // October 27, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

    wow, wondered where you were! That is a scary-busy schedule but I can easily imagine you as a really good mentor for upcoming teachers! Yay you!

  7. Shell // October 27, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

    What a wonderful class size! And a full-time TA! :)

    My kindergartener started the year in a class of 28 with a part time TA! Thankfully, they were smart and hired another kindergarten teacher and now they are down to 20 in his class.

    You sound really busy! But, excited about all of it!

  8. Theresa Milstein // October 27, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

    It's nice to hear from you again. You sound busy and still loved by your students. Hope you have a great rest of your year.

  9. Oka // October 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM  

    I don't think kids mean old as an insult. It's just true, and they have no way of even imagining 25 years.

    You sound busy, glad you are enjoying it :D

  10. Jill // October 28, 2010 at 2:57 AM  

    Bet you can't wait for your next break, sounds like you've been very busy.

    Hugs RosieP x

  11. Susan Fields // October 28, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

    Yes, time passes much too quickly! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new position so much - best of luck!

  12. Marlene // October 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

    Welcome back! I hope you stick around and give us some more treats to read. :)

    I've missed you!

    P.S. Anyone over 25 is OLD to a kid!

  13. T.J. // November 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

    welcome! Wishing you calm, peaceful days ahead!

  14. Hautemama // November 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

    I think anyone over 20 is old to a kid! Ha! You sound super busy-I don't know how you do it but I sure do admire you for it!

  15. Tree // November 17, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

    We miss you too, Pam!! Hope you can sneak in a little time for all of us in Bloggy land! ;) HUGS!

  16. Debbiedoos // December 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

    Hi Pam, Just wanted to wish and and your family a very Merry Christmas. I am glad to see you are doing well, yes busy, but that is a good thing. Take care...Debbie

  17. Bits-n-Pieces // January 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

    well obviously, my school year has been busy, too, since I'm just now finding time to sit and stop by and check in on you! 12 students? wow!!
    I've got 18 this year with a morning aide. (1st grade)
    One is autistic...student, not aide!
    challenges, but I'm loving it.
    Have a great second semester!!